Wednesday, July 13, 2005

sufjan tells it to the onion

my friend jaime pointed me to this interview with one of my favorite artists, sufjan stevens. if you have time, read the whole thing here. but this exchange in particular really caught my eye.

The Onion: Have you been surprised by how much attention has been paid to the fact that you're a Christian?

Sufjan Stevens: Um... Yeah, I think it's a little disconcerting. It can be a little frustrating. I think that certain terms that we use to describe a culture or religion are in some ways our way of isolating people, and I think sometimes these terms bring up all sorts of prejudices and misunderstandings and misconceptions. And I feel a little frustrated and guilty about being a part of that banter. And in some ways, I feel like this is something that is really important and sacred. Maybe it really shouldn't be a part of public discussion, because, you know, it really is about personal relationships.

and i could not agree more... thank you sufjan.

No comments: