Monday, April 07, 2008

the beatitudes

God bless the man who stumbles
God bless the man who falls
God bless the man who yields to temptation
God bless the woman who suffers
God bless the woman who weeps
God bless the children trying her patience

Trouble getting over it is what you’re in for
So pour yourself another
‘Cause it’ll take a steady pair of hands

Holy or unholy ghost
Well now I can’t tell
But either way you cut it
You should get some distance if you plan
To take a stand

God bless the house divided
God bless the weed in the wheat
God bless the lamp lit under a bushel

I discovered hell to be the poison in the well
So I tried to warn the others of the curse
But then my body turned on me
I dreamt that for eternity my family would burn
Then I awoke, with a wicked thirst
By my baby’s yellow bed I kissed her forehead
And rubbed her little tummy
And wondered if she’ll soon despise the smell
Of the booze on my breath, like her mom
Through a darkened mirror I have seen my own reflection
And it makes me want to be a better man
After another drink

God bless the man at the crossroads
God bless the woman who still can’t sleep
God bless the history that doesn’t repeat

David Bazan- Weeds in the Wheat mp3

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks phnil.

The lyrics fit my mood, but the melody lifted my spirit.

I really appreciated hearing from you today. I've been meaning to call, but I have had a feeling that you're really busy right now.

We'll catch up after classes are over. Looking forward to drinking a beer together.

elnellis said...

we'll touch base, sounds like your paper his going to require a lot of you... 30 pages! wow.

i handed in my big one last week... it was only 22 pages because it was linked to an art project.

i have faith in you, pneeter.